While the Center for American Progress report outlined the barriers facing educators of color in the public school system, it also provided recommendations to alleviate these obstacles both on a federal and state level.
Federal government recommendations:
- Create a national teaching corp that rivals those that current exists in the private sector.
- Fund teaching preparedness programs at minority-serving institutions.
- Implement incentives for talented students of color going into careers in education.
State government recommendations:
- Provide scholarships to future teachers that are connected with teacher training programs that currently exist.
- Adjust compensation packages for talented teachers of color to match those of other comparable professions.
- Back state and local initiatives that aim to recruit more educators of color.
Adedotun Ogunbajo, Joint Center Graduate Scholar, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health